Purpose of this Blog

Hi all,

Over the summer I will be studying abroad at Tajikistan on a state department scholarship program called NSLI-Y. I hope to keep this blog updated when I can, but since my internet connection will be sporadic, I make no guarantees. That said, I plan on writing down what I am doing as well as my thought and reflections, so hopefully, I will be able to publish those entries once I return to internet connection.

Now to answer a couple of questions:

Where is Tajikistan?

Tajikistan is a former Soviet state located in Central Asia. It is just north of Afganistan and west of China. I will be staying in the capital Dushanbe.

What will you be doing there?

My time in Tajikistan will focus primarily on learning the language. In Tajikistan, they speak Tajik, which is a version of Persian. It is very similar to Farsi which is spoken in Iran and Dari which is spoken in Afganistan. Interestingly Tajik uses the Cyrillic script, a holdover from its Soviet days. I will be spending most of my day in the classroom. I will also be staying with a host family, so I will also benefit from that immersion environment. 

What is NSLI-Y?

NSLI-Y is a state-department sponsored study-abroad program for high-school students that sends students to learn languages. For more information check out their website.

How long will you be gone for?

Six weeks, plus a couple of days of orientation.

Do you speak any Tajik?

Nope, but the pre-program course has taught me a little and one of the benefits of an immersion environment is that not only will I learn about the culture but I will also make strides in the language.

The opinions expressed on this blog are my own personal opinions. Anything written here is not the position of the NSLI-Y Program, American Councils, nor the Department of State.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

July 10th, 2019

Reverse Culture Shock